Background of J.T. Lewis, Photographer
Growing up in Oakville, Ontario, J.T. Lewis started learning photography while still in High School. After high school, he served in the Canadian Forces, but, still kept learning photography, studying with the correspondence course through The New York Institute of Photography. Upon release from the military, he continued the learning process through night school at Sheridan College and working at a Moto Photo which was a one hour photofinisher/portait studio and worked for a time at a photo studio in Milton, Ontario.
After a second call up to the military, J.T. Lewis decided that he wanted to specialize in the field of photojournalism and decided to study at Loyalist College in Belleville. The program stressed photography for newspaper and magazine publication and also included film developing and custom printing by hand, electronic picture developing and studio photography. During his studies at Loyalist, he won the Peter Brysky award (from the Toronto Sun) and did his internship at the Toronto Sun.
After finishing at the Toronto Sun, J.T. Lewis took a job with The Tribune in Welland, Ontario doing daily coverage of news, feature and sports photography as well as advertising photography for the daily newspaper. Through membership sharing programs with Canadian Press, some of his work was published in all the major metropolitan daily newspapers and in some major trade magazines. During his time at the Tribune, he also substituted at The Calgary Herald during a labour dispute, providing daily news, sports and feature photography for the daily metropolitan newspaper.
Upon termination of his position at The Tribune in 1997, J.T. returned to school, Niagara College, graduating from the New Media Web Design Program. During his time at college, he freelanced for the athletics department and has work appeared in numerous electronic and printed formats.
Now, J.T. Lewis is actively doing photography and teaching photography part time at Niagara College as needed.
J.T. has also added underwater photography to his repetoire and he has galleries of work on several stock photo agencies including: Stock photography by J.T. Lewis at Alamy, Shutterstock ,Dreamstime and 123RF and he also has fine art prints for sale on Fine Art America.
He has also created and manages all aspects of Erie Media.
J.T. Lewis, Photographer, is available for editorial photography and corporate photography, private tutoring for student photographers as well as small business website development, search engine optimization and support. He also does fine art photography and you can order fine art prints here.
- Graduated Loyalist College School of Photojournalism.~Internship at the Toronto Sun.
- Staff Photographer The Tribune Newspaper, Welland.
- Replacement worker at the Calgary Herald during labour dispute.
- Graduated Niagara College New Media Web Design.
- Presently teach photography part time at Niagara College.
- Niagara Regional Police Photography Award for standoff photo; July 6/1997.~Second place for Spot News Photography; Ontario News Awards; 1997.
- Second place for Sports Photography; Ontario News Awards; 1997.
- Honorable mention for Spot News Photography; Western Ontario News Awards; 2001.
- Runner Up for Feature Photography; Ontario Newspaper Awards; 2004.
- Winner for Sports Photography; Ontario Newspaper Awards; 2004.